HEALTH AND PATIENT ADVOCACY IN THE NEWS
- United States VA press release (March 2007) - Nicholson announces 100 new patient advocates for wounded
- BusinessWeek (October 2005) - patient advocates can help with research, red tape, and decision-making
- Boston Globe (May 2006)- patient advocates augment services of traditional health care professionals
- Las Vegas Sun (May 2006)- patient advocates help patients during their fights with medical issues
- Entrepreneur Magazine (December 2005) - listed patient advocacy as a hot business trend for 2006
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view some of these documents. Download the reader for free.
SELECTED HEALTH AND PATIENT ADVOCACY BOOKS
An advocate greets a patient
Below is a list of written resources applicable to health advocacy. Inclusion on this list does not mean we endorse all of the authors' methods or approaches - rather that we believe they provide useful food for thought in crafting a health advocacy model and methodology.
Annas, G.J. (2004) The Rights of Patients: The Authoritative ACLU Guide to Patient Rights. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press.
Bateman, Neil. Advocacy Skills for Health and Social Care Professionals. London: Jessica Kingsley Pub. Ltd. (2000)
Earp, Jo Anne et. al., Ed. Patient Advocacy: Patient Centered Strategies for Improving Health Care Quality. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Inc. To be published June 14, 2007. For more info, visit http://publichealth.jbpub.com/catalog/0763749613/
Ezell, M. Advocacy in the Human Services. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomas Learning, Inc. 2001.
Gellhorn, Gay. (1998) Law and Language: An Empirically Based Model for the Opening Moments of Client Interviews. Clinical Law Review 4:321-358.
Gerteis, M. et. al. (Eds.), Through the Patient's Eyes: Understanding and Promoting Patient-Centered Care. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Giller, Cole A. (2005) Port in the Storm: How to Make a Medical Decision and Live to Tell About It. Washington: LifeLine Press.
Grainger-Monsen, M. et. al. & Green, Alexander et. al. Worlds Apart: A Four-Part Series on Cross-Cultural Healthcare. (Video Modules and Facilitator's Guide) Stanford University Center for Biomedical Ethics.
Teasdale, K. Advocacy in Health Care. London: Blackwell Science Ltd. 1998.